The following article discusses data and MXD preparation guidelines for creating Map Package Snapshot Data.
An ArcGIS map package is essentially a zip file that includes a Map Document (.mxd) and the data that the layers reference in a file geodatabase. Data is packaged with the map document in our case, for offline distribution and use.
NOTE: Due to improved performance, Runtime Content is recommended over Map Packages for use with MIMS Mobile.
Create MPK Sequence
NOTE: Stage 2, MIMS Mobile Configuration, is not available in MIMS 2016, therefore assistance from Professional Services is required.
- Make sure you have satisfied the prerequisites.
- Make sure you have input the relevant ArcGIS Runtime license via MIMS Configuration. A Runtime Standard license is required for clients to use MPK’s.
- Follow rules for MXD preparation.
- Ensure MXD passes Analyze for MPK.
- Use MIMS Configuration tool to ‘drop’ MXD into Data Management RTC page.
- Select content type – default is MPK (will create on Save when MPK does not exist).
- Use MIMS Configuration tool to configure the data source (enabled, timed maintenance)
- Generates easier than Runtime Content.
- Requires a Runtime Standard license.
- Slower performance than RTC.
- Requires LocalServer on client (memory and application download larger).